Devlog #7: Release Day is approaching! Also, American Angst will be PC-only

It’s been a while since my last Devlog, the reason being that my website broke due to reasons beyond my control and I had to rebuild everything. So I’ll make a quick chronological recap of what happened in the meantime:

  • I set up the Steam storefront
  • I finished writing the game
  • I shipped it to my beta testers (and betatested the hell out of it myself)
  • I wrote and created the Mini Games and finished writing the epilogue
  • I setup Steampipe and put up my build for review
  • The first build was rejected due to the fact I tried to be ironic and put an „actual in-game footage“ overlay on my screenshots, meaning: My build was rejected because the screenshots in my storefront were against policy. Way to go, Misha.
  • I’ve created a presskit.

Yeah, that about sums it up. So, presuming Valve accepts my build in the next 48 hours, I actually might be able to release the game on schedule. How about that.

Now to something related but different:

If you are one of the two or three people who have been following this devlog, you might remember that I was going to release this game for PC and Mac. And yes, there are indeed two fully functional builds, a build for Windows and a build for Mac.

I will say it again: Both builds worked perfectly on my machines and worked perfectly with my beta testers. But after steampiping them up to Steam, only the Windows version worked. The Mac version doesn’t launch from Steam. To be precise: It doesn’t launch at all. So the Mac build that I and my beta testers could play before uploading it to Steam doesn’t work anymore on the other side of steam pipe, neither when launching via Steam client nor when directly launching it from the Steam Apps folder. What the actual f…

I’ve spent the last couple of days researching this bug and trying out different fixes (including an assortment of chromium-args, clearing the download cache, de- and reinstalling the  Steam client, but to no avail.

That’s why I have decided to leave the docks with only a PC version. Hopefully I will be able to include Mac in a future update.

So, this is what has happened since my last update. We’re basically good to go and just waiting for Steam’s ok. As soon as the build is approved, I will confirm the actual release date. Still hoping it will be Thursday, to be honest.

Leave a comment